Media Literacy Toolbox
Our best seller! Media Literacy Toolbox provides a complete introduction to media literacy concepts, skills, and applications.
What’s on the DVD?
- Over 100 selected media examples - television commercials, magazine ads, excerpts from TV and radio shows, and other media messages.
- Over 30 printable activity and discussion guides you can use with the media examples on the disc.
Media examples and discussion guides pertain to the following topics:
- Ad Creep
- Female Body Image
- Financial Literacy
- Food Marketing and Nutrition
- Gender Constructions
- Politics and Elections
- Public Relations and VNRs
- Representing Race in Advertising
- Representing Wealth
- Target Marketing to Children
- Stealth Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Deconstructing the Media System
- The Digital Revolution
- Media Consolidation
- Independent News
- Net Neutrality
- Media Justice
- Making Media
- Media Activism
The activity and discussion guides teach basic media literacy concepts and skills like the language of persuasion and how to deconstruct a media message. Media Literacy Toolbox looks beyond the frame to question our media system to promote media justice. The content aligns with many states’ education standards in various subject areas.
- Understand media literacy concepts and skills
- Learn how to deconstruct media messages
- Understand our changing media system and current media issues
- Explore ideas and resources for making our own media
- Discover ways to improve our media environment
Media Literacy Toolbox is designed to be used in classrooms, community organizations, professional development trainings, and other group settings.
Media examples are captioned and the discussion guide is available in large print.